Chapter 1: The Caravan

SockGMSockGM Dungeon Master
Welcome to the kingdom of Tethyr, a nation on the west coast of Faerun. Part of what was once called the Lands of Intrigue.

Our story begins after the Holiday of Greengrass the official start of Spring and a very busy time of year for the farmers in Tethyr, and specifically the Trade Way that stretches up and down the entire Sword Coast. The Town of Mosstone is where the opening events of our journey take place.

A caravan of assorted goods, lumber, precious metals and passengers has departed Darromar on its way up the Trade Way to the coast city of Murann. Reports of missing caravans and lost goods has forced the hire of a group of mercenaries from Star Protective Services. The journey has been smooth. That is...up until last night, when several of the group from Star Protective Services vanished while everyone else rested. The loss of two thirds of his company without a trace of evidence left behind has the mercenary captain, Haren Tortis, in dire need of safety for his caravan as well as recruits to search for his missing comrades.

Knowing Mosstone is near, the caravan hastily makes its way there.

Upon arrival, Captain Tortis orders his remaining members to go through the town and find him some able men and women to form a search party. Looking at a couple of more intimidating members of his company. He orders them to go to the Inn and bring anyone willing.
«13456724

Comments

  • SockGMSockGM Dungeon Master
    Ruff and Kan, please describe your appearance
  • KanKan Monkeys
    I look like your average Giant by appearance - over seven feet tall with a strong build, wide shoulders, bald head, and light brown skin which is leathery and full of darker rough spots. My eyes shine green even though they are hidden behind protruding cheek bones with darkened bags.
  • RuffRuff Monkeys
    I am a Dragonborn. 6'5" and 280 lbs. I have golden scales and red eyes. Broad-shouldered and a stern brow let you know immediately that he is a mad who is paid to be muscle.
  • SockGMSockGM Dungeon Master
    Kan and Ruff make their way to the Old Grue Inn. They enter a mostly empty room save a few men and women dressed like farm workers, a shadowy hooded figure in the corner and a half-orc at the bar.

    Storm and Jystn, describe your appearance
  • StormStorm Monkeys
    You see a slender figure wrapped in dark clothes in the corner of the room. He appears to be human but also has slightly elven features. His piercing blue-grey eyes seem to look right through you as if he is watching everything all at once.

    You notice a fine rapier at his belt along with a couple of ornate, but deadly looking Daggers. A small crossbow is also present and his hand lingers close enough to be able to grab the weapons and ready them at a moment's notice.

    As he shifts position his movement appears fluid and graceful like he is at one with the environment.
  • SockGMSockGM Dungeon Master
    Half Orc: A physical beast in appearance. Large patches of curly brownish gray hair on chest, back and arms. He is covered in tribal tattoos and has large scars across his chest and forearms. He wears bear skin clothes with bracelets and necklaces made of various animal teeth.
  • SockGMSockGM Dungeon Master
    Half Orc: A physical beast in appearance. Large patches of curly brownish gray hair on chest, back and arms. He is covered in tribal tattoos and has large scars across his chest and forearms. He wears bear skin clothes with bracelets and necklaces made of various animal teeth.
  • SockGMSockGM Dungeon Master
    Kan and Ruff, you have been tasked to get recruits for a search and rescue mission. Get these people to join you.
  • RuffRuff Monkeys
    I whisper to Kan to take the Orc. I walk over to the shifty human.

    “Is there anywhere a guy can get a drink in this town?”
  • KanKan Monkeys
    Eyes up both the orc and the elvish human.. “Hey Ruff, these guys look like they could keep up?”
  • StormStorm Monkeys
    Storm sizes up the dragonborn with an icy stare.

    He nods toward the bar.

    "You do know that you are in a Tavern, right?"

  • JystnJystn Monkeys
    Without looking towards the giant, "I hear your words, Giant. If you've got questions to ask. It's best you do it directly."
  • KanKan Monkeys
    Jystn wrote: »
    Without looking towards the giant, "I hear your words, Giant. If you've got questions to ask. It's best you do it directly."

    “The name’s Kan. You from around here? I meant no disrespect by my comment as you definitely look like the type we are looking for. Can I buy you a drink?”
  • RuffRuff Monkeys
    Storm wrote: »
    Storm sizes up the dragonborn with an icy stare.

    He nods toward the bar.

    "You do know that you are in a Tavern, right?"

    By the Gods, I did not! I thought this was an inn. I guess it’s showing that I’m not from around here. Actually on our way to Muraan and stopped in town to see if anybody would be looking for work to help protect our caravan. You wouldn’t happen to know anybody like that would ya?
  • JystnJystn Monkeys
    Kan wrote: »

    “The name’s Kan. You from around here? I meant no disrespect by my comment as you definitely look like the type we are looking for. Can I buy you a drink?”

    No disrespect taken, fellow warrior. I tend to be a bit edgy these days. I am the last of my tribe. It comes with certain heavy emotions. I would love a drink. What is it you're looking for a man like me for?
  • KanKan Monkeys
    Jystn wrote: »

    No disrespect taken, fellow warrior. I tend to be a bit edgy these days. I am the last of my tribe. It comes with certain heavy emotions. I would love a drink. What is it you're looking for a man like me for?

    Barkeep, two pints of ale please!

    I can understand your being on edge, and I am sorry to hear about the news of your tribe. It has been a rough day for me as well.

    My Dragonborn companion, Ruff, and I have been helping escort a caravan for the past few days and a number of our fellow mercenaries disappeared last night while we were asleep. Thankfully nothing happened to the two of us, but we are concerned about what happened to the others and who may have been involved. We are looking to increase our numbers and set out to find out what happened to them. Would joining us in this sort of 'search party' interest you at all?
  • StormStorm Monkeys
    Ruff wrote: »
    Storm wrote: »
    Storm sizes up the dragonborn with an icy stare.

    He nods toward the bar.

    "You do know that you are in a Tavern, right?"

    By the Gods, I did not! I thought this was an inn. I guess it’s showing that I’m not from around here. Actually on our way to Muraan and stopped in town to see if anybody would be looking for work to help protect our caravan. You wouldn’t happen to know anybody like that would ya?

    I am in need of work actually. What is the pay like and where are you heading?
  • JystnJystn Monkeys
    Kan wrote: »
    Jystn wrote: »

    No disrespect taken, fellow warrior. I tend to be a bit edgy these days. I am the last of my tribe. It comes with certain heavy emotions. I would love a drink. What is it you're looking for a man like me for?

    Barkeep, two pints of ale please!

    I can understand your being on edge, and I am sorry to hear about the news of your tribe. It has been a rough day for me as well.

    My Dragonborn companion, Ruff, and I have been helping escort a caravan for the past few days and a number of our fellow mercenaries disappeared last night while we were asleep. Thankfully nothing happened to the two of us, but we are concerned about what happened to the others and who may have been involved. We are looking to increase our numbers and set out to find out what happened to them. Would joining us in this sort of 'search party' interest you at all?

    If the spirits have willed your way to me, then who am I to not follow? Is it just muscle you seek? I am sorry to hear of your lost companions. This life is full of strife and these lands seem to be constantly in turmoil.
  • KanKan Monkeys
    Jystn wrote: »
    Kan wrote: »
    Jystn wrote: »

    No disrespect taken, fellow warrior. I tend to be a bit edgy these days. I am the last of my tribe. It comes with certain heavy emotions. I would love a drink. What is it you're looking for a man like me for?

    Barkeep, two pints of ale please!

    I can understand your being on edge, and I am sorry to hear about the news of your tribe. It has been a rough day for me as well.

    My Dragonborn companion, Ruff, and I have been helping escort a caravan for the past few days and a number of our fellow mercenaries disappeared last night while we were asleep. Thankfully nothing happened to the two of us, but we are concerned about what happened to the others and who may have been involved. We are looking to increase our numbers and set out to find out what happened to them. Would joining us in this sort of 'search party' interest you at all?

    If the spirits have willed your way to me, then who am I to not follow? Is it just muscle you seek? I am sorry to hear of your lost companions. This life is full of strife and these lands seem to be constantly in turmoil.

    It is great to hear you are willing and able! Muscle is what we need, but any other tricks you have up your sleeve may prove to be useful since the details of what we will encounter are unknown at this time.

  • JystnJystn Monkeys
    *sips his ale and pulls a turkey leg from his sack and offers it to kan. *
    Count me in.
  • KanKan Monkeys
    Jystn wrote: »
    *sips his ale and pulls a turkey leg from his sack and offers it to kan. *
    Count me in.

    Where did that piece of meat come from? I think I will pass on your offer, but thank you for the consideration. It sounds like we will be spending some time together, so I'll try a bite once my stomach starts to growl a little bit louder.
  • RuffRuff Monkeys
    Storm wrote: »
    Ruff wrote: »
    Storm wrote: »
    Storm sizes up the dragonborn with an icy stare.

    He nods toward the bar.

    "You do know that you are in a Tavern, right?"

    By the Gods, I did not! I thought this was an inn. I guess it’s showing that I’m not from around here. Actually on our way to Muraan and stopped in town to see if anybody would be looking for work to help protect our caravan. You wouldn’t happen to know anybody like that would ya?

    I am in need of work actually. What is the pay like and where are you heading?

    We pay 5GP a day. I must warn you, half of our outfit disappeared overnight and we don't know what happened to them. It is dangerous work.
  • StormStorm Monkeys
    Ruff wrote: »
    Storm wrote: »
    Ruff wrote: »
    Storm wrote: »
    Storm sizes up the dragonborn with an icy stare.

    He nods toward the bar.

    "You do know that you are in a Tavern, right?"

    By the Gods, I did not! I thought this was an inn. I guess it’s showing that I’m not from around here. Actually on our way to Muraan and stopped in town to see if anybody would be looking for work to help protect our caravan. You wouldn’t happen to know anybody like that would ya?

    I am in need of work actually. What is the pay like and where are you heading?

    We pay 5GP a day. I must warn you, half of our outfit disappeared overnight and we don't know what happened to them. It is dangerous work.

    That's a great deal. I'll take it. And I'm not concerned about the danger. Count me in.
  • JystnJystn Monkeys
    Kan wrote: »
    Jystn wrote: »
    *sips his ale and pulls a turkey leg from his sack and offers it to kan. *
    Count me in.

    Where did that piece of meat come from? I think I will pass on your offer, but thank you for the consideration. It sounds like we will be spending some time together, so I'll try a bite once my stomach starts to growl a little bit louder.

    *Taking a massive bite of the leg* Suit yourself. I've learned to never pass up a meal. I'm not even sure this is turkey. Could be goblin. But I'd prefer a drow leg......
  • SockGMSockGM Dungeon Master
    You four make your way back to the caravan and as you approach you see that there are already some new faces talking with Captain Tortis.

    As you approach you get a better look at 2 in particular, one whose shackles are being removed.
    Captain Tortis sees you returning and says
    "Ah, I see you two were successful. Come meet a few more who have agreed to join us on our search"

    @Proclus and @Neda describe and introduce yourselves please.
  • NedaNeda Monkeys
    A halfling who could almost pass as a small child flexes her wrists as the shackles are removed. She smiles and thanks the guard effusively. She has a mane of curly brown hair and friendly soft brown eyes to match. She's dressed in nondescript pale yellow robes with a plain gray fur cape and wears a triangular shaped amulet.

    She hums cheerfully as she reaches down and retrieves her belongings, including a wooden staff and a small crossbow, along with magical supplies and healing herbs.

    "Hi there!" she exclaims energetically as she waves to the group, "I've been told you'd like some help. We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone! I'm Neda! What's the plan?"
  • KanKan Monkeys
    Hi Neda - the plan is to search for a few missing persons who disappeared during the night last night. The specifics? Nothing as of yet.

    I must ask.. How come the shackles?
  • NedaNeda Monkeys
    Oh my! I hope they're okay. The shackles? I'm afraid my friend may have spooked some of the locals. A small misunderstanding! Right, cap?

    She nudges the local guard playfully.
  • RuffRuff Monkeys
    He spooked, and you're in shackles? Eh, I don't wanna know. Let's just get this job over with.
  • KanKan Monkeys
    Eventually my curiosity will get the best of me and I'll be asking you more questions Neda, but for now all I really care about is finding out where our fellow mercenaries disappeared to. Welcome to the crew.
This discussion has been closed.