Chapter 1: The Caravan

2456724

Comments

  • NedaNeda Monkeys
    I'm an open book! I'd show you what I mean but I don't want to scare anyone.
  • KanKan Monkeys
    Well I’m no scaredy cat - Let’s see what you’re talking about! Fair warning, Ruff might pee his pants a little though.
  • NedaNeda Monkeys
    She glances nervously towards the guard.

    "Okay," she relents, "show yourself, Laz."

    Suddenly and unceremoniously, you see a tiny winged man sitting on Neda's shoulder. He's got short golden hair, pale yellow skin and both a sword and bow strapped to his back. He waves.

    "This is Lazuli. He was helping me treat some of the sick people here. Someone noticed and got scared, so the guard has been detaining me for a little while. I don't blame them though, we fear what we don't know! That answer your question?"
  • KanKan Monkeys
    *waves back*
    Well hello Laz, and yes that’s does answer my question Neda. If he’s been helping you treat sick people I’m sure he will be a useful addition to the group!
  • RuffRuff Monkeys
    Kan, the only thing that I'll be pissing, is in your cornflakes. And as far as Lazuli goes, I'm not a huge fan of little flying guys, but if he's cool, I'm cool.
  • JystnJystn Monkeys
    *walks over to Neda and pounds his chest with his fist once, and bows* Long days and pleasant nights, little one. I am Jystn. The last of the Totem Warriors from Uthgarde.
  • RuffRuff Monkeys
    Well, looks like we got ourselves a team.
  • NedaNeda Monkeys
    Jystn wrote: »
    *walks over to Neda and pounds his chest with his fist once, and bows* Long days and pleasant nights, little one. I am Jystn. The last of the Totem Warriors from Uthgarde.

    Neda curtsies awkwardly, unsure of the proper response to his gesture. "Grief is the price we pay for love. I'm so sorry for your loss, Jystn. But I'm happy that you are still among us! I have faith you'll bring honor to your fellow warriors."

    Laz sticks his tongue out at Ruff, then laughs.
  • JystnJystn Monkeys
    *a hearty laugh bellows from the half orc as he watches the familiar. Quickly, he reaches into his sack and pulls out an ornate latern with a mechanical canary and presses a button on the side. Immediately years begin to whir and the canary starts chirping. He holds it towards the familiar*
    I have a little friend as well. Though you seem to be full of deer urine and demon grass juice! How intriguing!!!
  • JystnJystn Monkeys
    Oh, forgive me if you don't understand my saying. I do not know the translation to your wordings, but it is a good thing! We are well met Neda and her friend.
  • Sock (DM)Sock (DM) Monkeys (DM)
    The conversation meanders a bit before hitting a lull, at which point the very generic elf near Neda finally speaks. He quickly introduces himself as Proclus and is about to share more but, apparently lacking words or thinking better of it, instead falls back out of conversation and, almost imperceptibly, retreats slightly from the center of the group. It doesn't seem due to anything like pride or the lack of it. He is both present and absent, thoroughly distracted by some maelstrom of thought and wearing an expression somewhere between disappointed and dejected or worse.

    His thousand-yard stare makes it less awkward to look him over, and with each glance his way he becomes less and less generic. Clearly a wizard, but wearing armor. And it's custom armor, well-made and well-worn, though completely unadorned. Likely a higher elf, but with the weatherbeaten look of a seasoned ranger. All of his gear has obviously seen thousands of miles, yet is perfectly maintained with the notable exception of the broken sword at his waist. His edges seem blurred and his eyes backlit with blue. It's unsettling.
  • Sock (DM)Sock (DM) Monkeys (DM)
    edited March 2018
    Captain Tortis motioning to Proclus adds:

    "We found this one in the Archdruids grove. He doesn't say much but, followed us back here so I assume he's willing to help. "
  • Sock (DM)Sock (DM) Monkeys (DM)
    With that, the mercenaries and new companions set off on the road south to search for the missing caravan members
  • Sock (DM)Sock (DM) Monkeys (DM)
    Upon arriving at the camp location, the group splits and the six party members are chosen to head north into the Tethyr Forest to search for any trace of the missing mercenaries.

    How would you like to proceed?
  • StormStorm Monkeys
    I would like to check out the entrance to the forest to see if I can ascertain any facts about what may have passed through the area recently.
  • JystnJystn Monkeys
    I will use my beast affinity and see if I can find any friendly beasts I can talk to
  • Proclus taps Storm on the arm and offers him Guidance.

    Then he steps back and turns towards the forest, muttering and gesticulating as he attempts to Detect Magic. His eyes remain closed for much of the ritual, which is mostly silent but punctuated at times by wild swings of his arms and sudden jerks of his head, always with the twisted expression of intense concentration. Minutes pass.
  • Proclus pitches back and his eyes dart wildly, as if suddenly awoken from a deep sleep. The ritual is finished.
  • NedaNeda Monkeys
    Laz, get some eyes on the sky and let me know if you see anything strange.

    Laz, no longer visible, flits upwards to see what he can see. Neda, enjoying her newfound freedom, begins to sway and twirl, taking in the beautiful day.

    "You guys that were here when they disappeared, is there anything off or different about the camp? Anything out of the ordinary?" she asks, between spins.
  • Sock (DM)Sock (DM) Monkeys (DM)
    @Storm roll an investigation check and you may add a d4 for guidance
  • Sock (DM)Sock (DM) Monkeys (DM)
    @Proclus your ritual completes and the only magic entitiy you sense at the moment is the small creature fluttering near @Neda
  • StormStorm Monkeys
    SockGM wrote: »
    @Storm roll an investigation check and you may add a d4 for guidance

    21
  • Sock (DM)Sock (DM) Monkeys (DM)
    @Storm, through your investigation you are able to see several sets of faint humanoid footprints leading into the forest. A bit further in. The footprints appear to meet more sets of tracks.

    The new tracks disappear further into the forest amid marks of something or things being dragged along with them.
  • Sock (DM)Sock (DM) Monkeys (DM)
    @Jystn you look around and the only signs of life are a few squirrels darting around in the bushes.
  • KanKan Monkeys
    Neda wrote: »

    "You guys that were here when they disappeared, is there anything off or different about the camp? Anything out of the ordinary?" she asks, between spins.

    To be honest it’s was just a regular night and we were almost done with our mission so I didn’t take too much inventory of the surroundings, plus I was exhausted. And then when we woke and they were gone it was all a bit of a whirlwind - so in short, I don’t recall any specifics enough to be useful.
  • JystnJystn Monkeys
    Try to speak with the squirrels, asking if they've seen anything suspicious.
  • NedaNeda Monkeys
    See anything yet?

    I'm looking, I'm looking! Have some patience, will you?

    Trees that are slow to grow do bear the best fruit, she admits.

    "No problem, big guy! About how many people went missing?"
  • RuffRuff Monkeys
    .i follow the tracks storm has found.
  • Sock (DM)Sock (DM) Monkeys (DM)
    @Jystn settles down near one of the squirrels. "Squeak squeaked squeaker?"

    *squee skeek*

    "Squeaky squee squeak?"

    Skik squeak

  • KanKan Monkeys
    Neda wrote: »
    See anything yet?

    I'm looking, I'm looking! Have some patience, will you?

    Trees that are slow to grow do bear the best fruit, she admits.

    "No problem, big guy! About how many people went missing?"

    There were 4 who went missing, I know that much for certain.
This discussion has been closed.