Chapter 1 epilogue: Getting answers

SockGMSockGM Dungeon Master
The group exits the cave back in to the forest along the path they took who knows how long ago. A semi-familiar fork in the road, one path heading south, the other north. The group heads north and as the sun is high in the sky you reach a ruined tower, buried in vines. It seems like nothing has changed from the last visit. A familiar set of steps covered in overgrowth lead down beneath the ruins.

@Ruff @Proclus @Storm @Kan . You are outside the tower ruins where you previously met the banshee. What do you want to do?

Comments

  • KanKan Monkeys
    in hushed tones Kan speaks to the group

    How do we want to go about this?
  • ProclusProclus Monkeys
    I think we should be straightforward. One of us or all of us just go and speak to her. There was no violence until we took Hogarth from her vines. She did not attack us until Sarripus tried to steal her chalice. That chalice is where she accepts offerings -- gifts in exchange for favors. We need answers and are willing to pay for it, so I hope a deal can be struck.

  • SockGMSockGM Dungeon Master
    The party hears faint movement in the brush around the clearing where the ruined tower sits
  • ProclusProclus Monkeys
    Proclus freezes for a moment, then turns to the others and speaks in a low whisper.

    Do you see them? Several people, moving among the trees. There, around the base of the ruined tower.

  • RuffRuff Monkeys
    Should we call to them?
  • ProclusProclus Monkeys
    I don't know. Maybe there are more of them that we haven't seen yet. Kan, Storm, what do you think?
  • KanKan Monkeys
    Hadn't seen anything until you just pointed it out. I'm wary of what you just said, Proclus.. There may be more.. But I have no fear we can take them on.

    As for anything to gift to the banshee - I don't have much of value other than a couple of gems and the vial we got just a bit ago. I will part with anything if it means answers.
  • RuffRuff Monkeys
    “HEY YOU THERE! IN THE BUSHES! COME OUT!”
  • SockGMSockGM Dungeon Master
    An elf steps out from the trees. "What are you doing here?"
  • ProclusProclus Monkeys
    We are here to speak to the banshee. We mean you no harm.

  • SockGMSockGM Dungeon Master
    edited July 30
    The elf responds: "You are obviously not those awful goblins from the cave but you are trespassing in these woods. These are the lands of Myth Rhynn and we protect this forest. Who are you?"
  • ProclusProclus Monkeys
    edited July 30
    No, we are not goblins nor are we from a cave. We did, however just defeat some goblins and more, in a necromancer's cave not far from here. We entered the forest to rescue some mercenaries from Star Protective Services who were abducted, just outside Mosstone, from a caravan they were guarding.

    We already rescued one of the mercenaries from this place, but have returned to ask the banshee some questions. We believe she may be connected to the abductors, the necromancer, and the goblins who were working for him -- which, by the way, were all wearing tunics that bore the insignia of a bell.

    My name is Proclus, theurge of Eldath. Peace to you.

  • SockGMSockGM Dungeon Master
    The elf looks curious. He signals to the rest of the elf group and 6 more elves approach from the trees. "Mystic of the green goddess, you are welcome in our forest. I warn you about this tower though. Some ruins of the old city still harbor angry echoes of the past. This southern bell tower should be avoided."
  • KanKan Monkeys
    I am Kan and what Proclus here says is true. Thank you for your wisdom - we will avoid the southern bell tower.
  • KanKan Monkeys
    Kan stands still rubbing his chin in thought..


    Was the southern bell tower not where the banshee was when we were here last? If so, we must go there. We need answers!
  • RuffRuff Monkeys
    Well boys. If there’s anything I know about this crowd. It’s that we are heading straight to the southern bell tower.
  • ProclusProclus Monkeys
    Proclus gives the elf a subtle, respectful nod.

    Thank you for your welcome. And your warning. While in the necromancer's cave, we experienced several time disturbances, which decimated our numbers. So perhaps these "angry echoes of the past" are precisely what we need to investigate.

    In great detail and with the hope of uncovering more clues, Proclus relates their experiences: the initial fight against goblins and bugbears, the near disaster with the banshee, learning that Hogarth's captors made offerings to the banshee, the assault on the necromancer's cave, slaying the flayer, befriending Pringle, rescuing the captives, the necromancer's disappearance, his notes about Mr. F and Oreioth tracking caravans, the first timewarp, the disappearance of Garrock and half the party, the second timewarp, the disappearance of another half of the party, etc.

    And if this was a bell tower, hopefully it also holds the answer to why the goblins wore bell insignia and claimed that their master worshipped a bell. Ruff is right. We have no choice but to head straight to it. But when we emerge, we will be happy to share our report, if you wish to hear it.

  • SockGMSockGM Dungeon Master
    Brother Proclus, I am Viansola, warden of the forest of Tethir. We have monitored that clan of goblins. They believed this ruin held a goddess. Be wary, only bad memories are left here. The answers you seek may not be the answers you find here. We will wait here for you. I hope you find what you seek.
  • ProclusProclus Monkeys
    Thank you, Viansola. We have pursued this bell mystery from its bell beginning and shall pursue it all the way to its bell end.
  • KanKan Monkeys
    So we're off then! Thank you Viansola - we shall return, at least most of us hopefully
  • SockGMSockGM Dungeon Master
    Viansola: Best of luck, but we will stay here until you return.
  • RuffRuff Monkeys
    I am want to listen to the elves. But as you have helped Kan and I on our quest I shall help with yours.
Sign In or Register to comment.